Sunday 9 June 2013

Of hummus and the struggles with keeping an open mind

I think I'm going to convert to food blogging. It feels like all I've been doing the last 24 hours is eating. Eating delicious yummy food. IYHA, the Israel Youth Hostel association or Ana as they are apparently called in Hebrew, has really gone above and beyond to make sure I have a pleasant stay here in Israel. Apart from being really helpful with the whole luggage situation (which thankfully showed up today after its unexpected Paris excursion - yay) they were kind enough to let their New Media director Anat accompany me on my exploring last night and today. She is a fantastic food guide and took me, among other places, to her favorite hummus place. Hummus is to Israel what hot dogs are to Iceland so I had to try it. I think vegetarians must love the food here because so much of it is centered around dishes that don't contain any meat. Hanging out with Anat has also given me a unique opportunity to get to know the culture from a local and to ask all the questions I have about just about anything Israel related. I know how it is to be questioned about things that you haven't necessarily given much thought to about your hometown or country so I applaud her patience with me. I know few things better than good conversations over great food and I hope I have managed to give her a bit of insight into life in Iceland as well.


Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall

Apart from the food I've also seen some sights. I went to the old city of Jerusalem today and saw the amazing Dome of the Rock and left my wish and hopes at the Western Wall (also known as the wailing wall). Although I'm well aware of all the controversy surrounding Jerusalem and Temple Mount in particular (you can read about it by doing a quick Google search) I couldn't help but being impacted by the significance this place has to the Jewish people. Being from a country where religion doesn't play a big role in the daily lives of people it's interesting to experience things like the Sabbath where even the secular people partake in something so deeply rooted in religion. Mind you, not everyone in Israel agrees that this should be this way but I find it interesting none the less. I can imagine that many of the modern day pilgrims praying and kissing the wall today were experiencing the highlight of their religious lives.

The market in the Jewish Quarter in Old Jerusalem

I also went to the market briefly and I will have to visit it again before I leave. I love markets, especially markets that are filled with colorful aromatic things that you are not sure what to do with. After our short walk around the old city the plan had been to visit Yad Vashem, the Holocaust museum, but because we were running a little late and the Yad Vashem requires a bit of time we decided to visit the Bible Lands Museum instead. I think someone who's really read the Bible would enjoy this museum more than I did but it was still interesting to see artifacts that are thousands of years old. My favorite part was the Pure Gold exhibition that is focused around things made of gold and included a lot of ancient jewelry. I will be going to the Yad Vashem tomorrow instead before I head on over to Tel Aviv for the day.

Religion is not the only thing that has piqued my interest - I was uneasy every time I saw one of these guys today because I've never been anywhere where firearms are as visible out in the streets as here

I have to say that Jerusalem has surprised me. I didn't expect to like it nor did I think I would feel short for time during my visit. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect and sometimes uncertainty brings out sides of me I really wished would never rear their ugly heads. I'm glad I didn't give up this amazing opportunity like I was contemplating for a while and am thankful that the world (and the Big Blog Exchange of course) has brought me here. Controversies and all.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this through the I Heart Reykjavik blog. I hope you're having a great time and think this will be an incredibly rewarding experience. Soak it up, and we're with you in spirit as you adventure on!

    ReplyDelete